For keeping food fresh and lasting longer, vacuum sealers and vacuum-sealed storage containers are the most familiar products we know of on the market. And which one is better for storing food? Depending on the food type, we have to choose different ways to store it.
That's to say; there’s not just one answer for every food. But we are here to help you discover the pros and cons of the vacuum sealer and the vacuum-sealed storage container, which is the best choice for storing your food.
1. Vacuum Sealers - Advantage and Disadvantage
First, we start from the price; vacuum sealers can be easily distinct into three dimensions with different price ranges and functions.
- From the basic, budget vacuum sealers range from $40 to $100.
- The second level, mid to higher-end vacuum sealers, range from $100 to $300.
- And last, professional vacuum sealers are usually $300 and above.
It isn’t easy to compare all kinds of vacuum sealers with vacuum-sealed containers. So this blog will be on mid to higher-end vacuum sealers.
Mid to higher-end vacuum sealers usually feature roll storage with a built-in cutter bar to make custom-sized bags; an alignment tool ensures bag placement; one handheld sealer and accessory hose; one removable drip tray.
Advantage of Vacuum Sealers
- Save Space
- Seal 2 Ways
- Multi-Use Preservation and Function
Seal food for sous vide cooking and marinating, and dry and moist mode for an airtight seal. Vacuum seal bags can prevent freezer burn; suited for meal prep and portioning; simmer and microwave safe.
The disadvantage of Vacuum Sealers
- Bulk Machine
- Not Suitable for Delicate Food and Food That Emits Gases
Some vegetables emit natural gases that might cause a loss of vacuum, like raw onions, garlic, cabbage, and so on.
- Not Eco-Friendly
You cannot start vacuum sealers without electricity. Even if vacuum sealers are usable, vacuum seal bags are not. So you have to keep buying single-use plastic bags that are harmful to the environment.
2. Vacuum-sealed Food Storage Containers- Advantage and Disadvantage
Without bulky machines, vacuum-sealed containers are cheaper than vacuum sealers. This price on the market would be:
- Vacuum containers range from $20 to $50. (Pump system sold separately)
- Vacuum canisters range from $30 to $40. (Without extra equipment)
- Turn-N-Seal Vacuum-sealed storage containers range from $29 to $57.
Most vacuum containers on the market need to be used with pumps you have to buy separately. However, a few vacuum canisters that can be used without extra equipment are the kind of vacuum containers we will compare in this blog.
Advantage of Vacuum-sealed Food Storage Containers
Easy to use, no extra equipment needed, cover the lid for airtight mode, and twist or press the lid to seal the vacuum.
- Organized and Solid
Some vacuum containers are stackable, making your fridge and pantry tidy and clean. Then you don’t need to worry about food dropping down from the shelf. Prevent food stab out of the package and protect food from being crushed by vacuum seal pressure. So you can store bread, chips, lettuce, and other delicate food.
- Frequent Use
Available for daily usage, such as cereal, nuts, coffee beans, bread, etc.
Vacuum-sealed storage containers are reusable. Clean them after use, and store other food for vacuum seal again. And can be recycled at the end of a product’s life.
Disadvantages of Vacuum-sealed Containers
- Limited function
Cannot be used in a microwave, oven, or boil. Not preferred for meat storage.
- Takes space
Compared to vacuum seal bags, vacuum-sealed containers take more space on the shelf.
See the below table to find which vacuum seal ways fit your food storage,
|Vacuum seal container
|Beef & poultry
|Soup & stews
|Veget emit gases
(Raw Onions / Garlic / Cabbage / Lettuce)
|Flour & sugar
|Rice & pasta
- Vacuum sealers have multiple features suitable for various food types of storage. But there are more accessories you have to take care of—the better choice for meal preparation and portion.
- Vacuum-sealed containers are suitable for everyday use and long-term storage as well. Keep food shaped as how it is and avoid food squeezing by vacuum-sealing pressure.
Final Thoughts on Vacuum sealer vs. Vacuum-sealed storage containers
So now you ask, with vacuum sealer vs. vacuum-sealed storage containers, which should I choose?
Truthfully, both are great options. It all just depends on your individual needs.
Ask yourself these questions as a good starting point:
- What kinds of food do I want to store?
- How much money am I comfortable spending on food storage?
- How important is using reusable products?
- How often do I take out the food from the package?
- Do I need it for meal portions or daily use?
At Ankomn, we care about keeping food fresh and lasting longer, which is why we are available to help you make the best decision on vacuum seal products.
To learn more about vacuum-sealer containers, check this out!. As an eco-friendly brand, each turn on the lid of Turn-N-Seal vacuum-sealed container eliminates the use of a single-use plastic bag.